DLS Consulting Traffic Engineering Services was founded in 1991 by David L. Spear, P.E. He has a B.S. from the University of Colorado and an M.S. in Civil Engineering from UConn, specializing in Transportation Engineering. Mr. Spear has been practicing Civil Engineering since 1983. He began his career in site development consulting in Boulder, Colorado. He then relocated to the East to specialize in large scale transportation projects.
In 1987, Mr. Spear moved to Connecticut and has managed numerous traffic studies for various residential, retail and office park developments ranging in size from 1,800 square feet to 2,000,000 square feet. He has also completed signal systems design, corridor studies and regional development studies in New England.
Mr. Spear is a licensed Professional Engineer in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York and is a member of the Institute of Transportation Engineers.
- Traffic impact studies for Dunkin Donuts, CVS, KFC, Boston Chicken, Taco Bell, Texaco, Exxon, Sunoco and Cumberland Farms sites.
- Traffic Studies for residential, office, retail and commercial developments in CT, NY, MA, NH and RI.
- Preparation of school traffic and parking studies including STC applications and STC determination requests for additions and renovations at Abbott VoTech, Hartford High School (HS), New Britain HS, Cromwell HS, The Gilbert School in Winsted, Northwestern Regional Middle/High School (District #7) in Winsted, and a Pre-K through 5 School in Preston.
- Private school traffic/parking studies for the Japanese School and the Brunswick School in Greenwich; the Greenwich Reform Synagogue; and, the Hunter Montesori School in New Hartford.
- State Traffic Commission Certificates for Marandino Village, Colt Highway Office Park, Trout Brook Commons, Ames, Town Center Shopping, Franklin Commercial Park, Cross Pointe Plaza, Cheshire Shopping Center, Executive Place at Middletown, Dart Hill Estates and the State Office Building and Parking Garage.
- Feasibility study plus local and State applications for a 1,500 unit residential complex or 1.5 million square foot office park in Middletown/Cromwell, Connecticut.
- Traffic studies for the Monodnack Mall in Keene, NH and the Litchfield Hills Mall in Torrington, CT ‑ both malls over 1.5 million SF of retail space and for Commerce Center II, a 2,000,000 SF business park in East Hartford.
- Traffic signal design for over 100 intersections in 30 communities in CT. Closed loop signal systems design in Waterbury, Greenwich, Ansonia and Wilton, CT.
- Revised staging and/or maintenance of traffic plans for I‑91 in Windsor/Windsor Locks, the Founders Bridge and the Putnam Bridge allowing G.A. Tomasso Construction early project completion.
- Interchange alternative analysis and network modeling in Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Virginia.
- Corridor studies of Route 229 for Southington and of Route 154 for Essex. Town of Orange Intersection and Roadway Studies at nine Town selected intersections.